想要知道你的文法程度如何嗎？下面是 How English Works 這本書裡面的一些測試，分基礎 basic , 中級 intermediate , 進階 advanced 三個程度。基礎是對於一些比較基本的文法點，比方說名詞單複數，可數不可數名詞，冠詞定冠詞，比較級，現在簡單式，現在進行式等。中級的話比較多的時態，過去簡單式，過去完成式，過去進行式等，另外有假設語氣，助動詞，動詞的接續。進階有難啊，有名詞子句，形容詞子句，副詞子句，還有一些慣用法，跟一些比較細節的部分。
這些題目難在他們是單選題跟 “複選題" 都有，所以真的要非常清楚，不能用猜的。有些事比較非正式的用法，另外基礎的部分有些單字是故意拼錯的，當做錯誤的選項。基本上潔西覺得基礎跟中級部分假如能對到五十題，那文法觀念就算很好了，不過，潔西讓同學做的經驗是通常錯的比對的還多，複選真的是有難啊！潔西自己在最後進階部分也錯了不少題，不過進階有些題目真的比較刁，自己自我安慰兼解釋XD
潔西學生晚上有個大比賽，兩隊都是潔西的學生，住在一起的兄弟隊爭奪冠亞軍賽，非常精彩的比賽，兩隊表現的都非常好，但是既然是比賽就是會有勝負，打的是bo5: best of five 也就是最先贏三場的隊伍獲得勝利。比到第四場是各勝兩場，第五場要開始比賽的時候，潔西突然就超難過，眼淚開始一直流。因為知道有一隊一定贏比賽會很開心，但也有一隊鐵定會輸，會很傷心。手心手背都是肉啊！
Queen 的 The show must go on 潔西先前學生輸掉比賽時給學生加油的歌，真的就是戲還是要演下去，還有更重要的比賽等著。另外還有 Kelly Clarkson 的 What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger 沒有殺死你的會讓你更強壯。還有 Fun 的 Carry on 繼續下去。人生就是這樣由一個又一個的挫折失敗組成，走來一路順利的人恐怕數得出來，可以的話當然不想要有失敗，不過呢實際上遇到挫折失敗而從中學習的人真的是會越來越強壯，越來越堅毅。
題目出自 How English Works ，版權所有歸於牛津出版社。題目有單選跟複選題。分三個部分，各三十題，答案在最後面。
How English Works Oxford Michael Swan & Catherine Walter
Test yourself: basic points
Choose the correct answer(s). One or more answers may be correct
1. She’s … university teacher.
A. a B. an C. the D. one
2. I like … small animals.
A. the B. —(nothing) C. every D. all
3. Is this coat …?
A. yours B. your C. the yours
4. Is Diana …?
A. a friend of yours B. a your friend C. your friend
5. Who are … people over there?
A. that B. the C. these D. those
6. … is your phone number?
A. Which B. What C. How
7. Could I have … drink?
A. other B. an other C. another
8. There aren’t … for everybody.
A. chairs enough B. enough chairs C. enough of chairs
9. They’re … young to get married.
A. too much B. too C. very too
10. Most … like travelling.
A. of people B. of the people C. people
11.Ann and Peter phone … every day.
A. them B. themself C. themselves D. each other
12. It’s … weather.
A. terrible B. a terrible C. the terrible
13. The plural of car is cars. Which of these are correct plurals?
A. journeys B. ladys C. minuts D. sandwichs E. babies
14. Which of these is/are correct?
A. happier B. more happier C. unhappier D. beautifuller
15. This is … winter for 20 years.
A. the more bad B. worse C. the worse D. worse E. the worst
16. She’s much taller … me.
A. than B. as C. that
17. He lives in the same street … me.
A. that B. like C. as D. than
18. Her eyes … a very light blue.
A. are B. have C. has
19. … help me?
A. Can you to B. Do you can C. Can you
20. You … worry about it.
A. not must B. don’t must C. must not D. mustn’t
21. It … again. It … all the time here in the winter.
A. ‘s raining, ‘s raining B. rains, rains C. rains, is raining
D. ‘s raining, rains
22. I … she … you.
A. think, likes B. am thinking, is liking C. think, is liking
D. am thinking, likes
23. Who … the window?
A. open B. opened C. did opened
24. Why … ?
A. those men are laughing B. are laughing those men
C. are those men laughing
25. What … ?
A. does she want B. does she wants C. she wants
26. I didn’t … he was at home.
A. to think B. think C. thinking D. thought
27. … a hole in my sock.
A. There’s B. There is C. It’s D. It is E. Is
28. I’ll see you … Tuesday afternoon.
A. at B. on C. in
29. What time did you arrive … the station?
A. at B. to C. —
30. We’re going … the opera tomorrow night.
A. at B. — C. in D. to
Test yourself: intermediate points
31. I went out without … money.
A. some B. any
32. He’s got … money.
A. much B. many C. a lot of D. lots of
33. ‘Who’s there?’ ‘ … .’
A. It’s me B. It is I C. Me D. I
34. Although he felt very … , he smiled … .
A. angrily, friendly B. angry, friendly C. angry, in a friendly way
35. I … to America.
A. have often been B. often have been C. have been often
36. My mother … my birthday.
A. always forgets B. always is forgetting C. forgets always
37. You look … a teacher.
A. like B. as C. the same like
38. How many brothers and sisters … ?
A. have you got B. do you have C. are you having
39. Good! I … work tomorrow.
A. mustn’t B. don’t have to C. haven’t got to
40. I … smoke.
A. — B. use to C. used to
41. Andrew … to see us this evening.
A. will come B. comes C. is coming
42. Alice … have a baby.
A. will B. shall C. is going to
43. I knew that he … waiting for somebody.
A. is B. was C. would
44. … Gloria last week?
A. Have you seen B. Did you see C. Were you seeing
45. She’s an old friend — I … her … years.
A. ‘ve known, for B. know, for C. ‘ve known, since D. know, since
46. We met when we … in France.
A. studied B. were studying C. had studied
47. As soon as she came in I knew I … her before.
A. have seen B. saw C. had seen
48. This picture … by a friend of my mother’s.
A. is painting B. is painted C. was painting D. was painted
49. Can you …?
A. make me some tea B. make some tea for me C. make for me some tea
50. Try … be late.
A. not to B. to not
51. I went to London … clothes.
A. for buy B. for to buy C. for buying D. to buy
52. You can’t live very long without … .
A. to eat B. eat C. eating D. you eat
53. I enjoy … , but I would like … it all my life.
A. to teach, to do B. teaching, doing C. to teach, doing
D. teaching, to do
54. Her parents don’t want … married.
A. her to get B. her get C. that she get D. that she gets
55. I’m not sure what …
A. do they want? B. do they want. C. they want.
56. The policeman … me not to park there.
A. asked B. said C. told D. advised
57. I … you if you … that again.
A. hit, say B. will hit, will say C. hit, will say D. will hit, say
58. It would be nice if we … a bit more room.
A. would have B. had have
59. If you … me, I … in real trouble last year.
A. didn’t help, would have been B. hadn’t helped, would have been
C. hadn’t helped, would be D. didn’t help, would be
60. There’s the man … took your coat.
A. which B. who C. that D. —
Test yourself: advanced pints
61. My family … thinking of moving to Birmingham.
A. is B. are
62. We watched a … on TV last night.
A. war film B. war’s film C. film of war
63. He was wearing … riding boots.
A. red old Spanish leather B. old leather red Spanish
C. old red Spanish leather D. Spanish red old leather
64. … he gets, … .
A. The richer, the more friends he has B. Richer, more he has friends
C. Richer, more friends he has D. The richer, the more he has friends
65. It’s … if you take the train.
A. quicker B. the quicker C. quickest D. the quickest
66. He … very annoying.
A. is B. is being
67. That … be Roger at the door — it’s too early.
A. can’t B. mustn’t C. couldn’t
68. At last, after three days, they … get to the top of the mountain.
A. could B. managed to C. succeeded to D. were able to
69. It was crazy to drive like that. You … killed somebody.
A. may have B. might have C. could have D. can have
70. I wonder if John … this evening.
A. will phone B. phones
71. Who … you that ring?
A. ‘s given B. gave
72. He … quite different since he … married.
A. is, has got B. has been, has got C. is, got D. has been, got
73. This is the first time I … a sports car.
A. ‘ve driven B. ‘m driving C. drive
74. On her birthday … .
A. she was given a new car B. a new car was given to her
75. We can’t use the sports hall yet because it … .
A. is still built B. is still building C. is still being built
76. I looked forward … you soon.
A. seeing B. to seeing C. to see
77. If you have trouble going to sleep, try … a glass of milk before bedtime.
A. drinking B. to drink C. drink
78. This is my friend Joe, I … met, have you?
A. don’t think you’ve B. think you haven’t
79. How … !
A. he works hard B. hard he works
80. Which of these sentences are correct in spaken English?
A. Car’s running badly. B. Seen Peter? C. Can’t come in here, sorry.
D. Careful what you say. E. Lost my glasses. F. Have heard of her.
81. Nobody phoned, did … ?
A. he B. she C. they D. it E. he or she F. anybody
82. If you were ever in trouble, I would give you all the help you … .
A. will need B. would need C. need D. needed
83. My wife will be upset … .
A. if I don’t get back tomorrow B. unless I get back tomorrow
84. Tell me at once … Margaret arrives.
A. if B. when C. in case
85. It’s time you … home, but I’d rather you … here.
A. go, stay B. went, stayed C. go, stayed D. went, stay
86. I wish I … more time.
A. had B. have C. would have D. will have
87. John Hastings, … , has just come to live in our street.
A. that I was at school with B. I was at school with
C. with who I was at school D. with whom I was at school
88. She keeps tapping her fingers, … gets on my nerves.
A. which B. what C. that which
89. Can you finish the job … Friday?
A. till B. until C. by D. for
90. There’s a supermarket … our house.
A. in front of B. opposite C. facing
1. A 2. B, D 3. A 4. A, C 5. B, D 6. B 7. C 8. B 9. B 10. C
11. D 12. A 13. A, E 14. A, C 15. E 16. A 17. C 18. A 19. C 20. C, D
21. D 22. A 23. B 24. C 25. A 26. B 27. A, B 28. B 29. A 30. D
31.B 32. C, D 33. A, C 34. C 35. A 36. A 37. A 38. A, B 39. B, C 40. A, C
41.A, C 42. C 43. B 44. B 45. A 46. B 47. C 48. D 49. A, B 50. A
51.D 52. C 53. D 54. A 55. C 56. A, C, D 57. D 58. B 59. B 60. B, C
61.A, B 62. A 63. C 64. A 65. A, C
66. A, B 67. A, C 68. B, D 69. B, C 70. A
71. B 72. C, D 73. A 74. A 75. C
76. B 77. A 78. A 79. B 80. A, B, C, D, E
81.C 82. D 83. A 84. A, B 85. B
86. A 87. D 88. A 89. C, D 90. B, C